Thursday, June 9, 2011

Big things! Big things!

"Your dreams are ballbusters; they're not the yellow brick road." — Kelly Cutrone

I have some exciting news, nope I am not knocked up, and don't plan to be for a few years so stop asking (Dad). I am starting a new job and I really couldn't be more thrilled than I am right this moment. Any of my lululemon colleagues could probably tell you I have strong aspirations of cracking the PR world wide open. Today I am happy to report that I will be officially joining the agency realm with the awesomely talented creative agency Bailey Gardiner!

Awesome stationery ready to land in my new home at BG.

I have had my eye on the BG team since my time at UCLA when I was just a girl with a dream of being a publicist with no internships or formal experience under her belt.  Just 4 years of softball that don't exactly translate to real work experience (shocker I know, we worked our butts off).  I even sent them an email straight out of the gate when I graduated with my terrible resume, and pretty sloppy cover letter.  Luckily, for both of us, they never replied and I went on to enjoy a few wonderful years at lululemon athletica where I learned how to set goals, practiced a lot of yoga, and discovered exactly what I wanted in life and how to make it happen.  

From the lululemon April Fool's Day Archives

lululemon gave me a real chance at growing into my talents, and I am so thankful to have worked there as for the first leg of my career.  lululemon stood for greatness in their employees, a requisite trait instilled within me by Sue Enquist my former head softball coach at UCLA.  She really taught me to settle for nothing less than amazingness in myself and others, and how to apply the work to make that happen in both.  I have been trying to settle into a new home with my goals, talents and desire to be surrounded by stellar people and I know BG is the place for me.

Toes ready for their next adventure, looking back a bit to find my roots.

This past weekend I was reminded of the grandeur I was surrounded with, in terms of people and character, at UCLA with my teammates.  I have known for a while that I have missed being in that bubble where you felt everything you were working for was towards something bigger than any individual.  But it was seeing the elite bubble at the Champions Festival this weekend that really told me to start holding myself accountable to that level of greatness once again.  I was lucky enough to sit with Laura Gentile, VP of espnW /super awesome humble and incredible woman, and she was kind enough to tell me about her career and give me some advice in the decisions I was currently making.  Talking to her and amongst my old peers I remembered that you are personally responsible for making your career dreams and real dreams happen and sometimes the hardest feat in that task is communicating exactly what you want and why you are worthy.

 
Part of my cover letter to BG... I may show you the full site I built one day... Maybe...

Luckily I communicated my career objectives with BG and found a home on their team.  I start in about a week and as you can tell, I am a little bit excited.  This is super cheesy, but it's the truth, shopping for your career is a bit like the recruiting process I went through with softball, some places fit just a half size too small and though you want to shove your foot in there and make it work, you're not going to want to wear those shoes everyday.  I think my role as Account Executive/Social Media Strategist at BG will look like I am wearing my sparkly Louboutins with the comfort of Crocs, every single day. 

Best.  Christmas present.  Ever.   

Sparkle, shine, and innovate everyday peeps.  xo  

P.S.  Did I mention little miss Quill and Couture has her own Facebook fan page!  Holler like it up!


 


5 comments:

  1. Glad we're your perfect fit Whitney! Looking forward to your first day at BG...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dylan means a lot from you!

    Hi Jon! SUPER excited to be a part of BG (if it's not already obvious.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Whit! What an amazing opportunity! BG is high on my list of companies to work for someday! Bah! You're my career idol! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so exciting, congrats! I have always thought working in PR would be amazing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete