Monday, June 13, 2011

Workout Retail Therapy

"I like my money right where I can see it: hanging in my closet." - Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

If you have read this blog once, you know by now that I am a fan of shopping. If you've read this blog twice, you know by now that I solve most problems with retail therapy. So here's the sitch:

Problem: My morning runs were getting boring and subsequently shorter.
Solution: New running shoes.

New kicks!  Brooks from the San Diego Running Institute

In my crazy behavioral defense, I really, really needed new running shoes. The Etonics I bought almost 2 years prior had had their day(s) in the sun and needed a proper burial. So I decided to pop over to the San Diego Running Institute and replace my old dogs, since I have had such a wonderful experience with them in the past. I walked in wanting to replace my Etonics with the exact same pair I had before, as they were super comfortable and had treated me right for so long.  However, Heather, my friendly shoe fitter, quickly let me know that Etonics had stop making running shoes.  Shocker. They made wonderfully comfortable and functioning shoes that were not cute. I don't care what they say, pretty will always outperform performance talk. Wish they would have consulted with me first, totally could have given their product management team a tip or two.

In love with my new Brooks: the Ravenna 2

Nonetheless Heather helped me into a wonderful pair of Brooks and my feet and I lived happily ever after, running into the sunset. If you are in need of new running shoes and live in San Diego, I HIGHLY suggest you visit the San Diego Running Institute.  If you do not live in San Diego, I apologize, and anyway here are a few tips for finding shoes and running gear best for you.

Glide is a girl's best friend...

Invest in your Sweat

  • Go see an expert.   Preferably a small shop that has a knowledgeable staff INVOLVED in the local running community. They really know what you're dealing with out there on the road.  They also tend to have a better selection of performance shoes.
  • Tell them if you have achy feet or any uncomfortable ticks when you run.  For example, I have arthritis, sometimes my feet hurt in the morning and I need comfortable support.  Heather knew this and knocked it out of the park with my shoes.
  • Don't buy your shoes at Nordstrom.  We all know I love me some Nordstrom, but most of the "running" shoes I have purchased there have performed terribly despite raving reviews from the sales people.  You may as well run in your Jimmy Choos, because that's about how comfortable you will be.
  • Have an open mind and SPEND for performance.   I am not patient, but when it comes to running shoes you have to find the perfect fit, because if you get into any sort of distance running, even 3 miles, bad shoes can be a big problem for your feet.  Think about it, you use your feet everyday!  Treat them right and they will do the same.  Don't cheap it with bad shoes that lead to bad knees later on.
  • Like shoes, invest in the clothes you plan on running in.  There is nothing worse in the world than chaffing from bad fabrics when you are 4 miles from home and cranky.  As we know, I heart all things lululemon, and I really love the sports bras from Target.  (Comfortable and they tend to carry neon colors, score!)
  • RUN in your shoes.  Run around the parking lot or around the store, do some high knees and see how those bad boys really feel.  If it is a good shop, they will have no problem with this test drive.
  • Last but not least, possibly buy some glide.  I used to hate running in shorts because I would always chafe regardless of the brand I was wearing.  Test drove some glide on my 5 mile run this weekend and chafing is officially a thing of the past.  Hello tan legs for summer.
Long story long, it pays to be comfortable and supported in your runs and all workouts.  You will want to do it more often, and your body will really thank you for taking such good care of it.  Cost per wear is a terrible place to waste your money or not spend enough...  xo

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment