Friday, June 17, 2011

Muscles, Excuses and Mentors

"You can make excuses or you can make muscles but you can't do both." - Bill Lyons, via my amazing friend January of Bliss Fitness.

January posing for me for a lululemon post about opening up through yoga.

I am blessed with knowing this wonderful lady lovely pictured above. Her name is January and she is one of my fitness/whole life mentors, as well as a wicked awesome friend.  I love her for reasons I have lost count of, but am most thankful for the following:
     She inspires me to love myself, inside out and around this big old badonk we both share!
     She balances life with health, fitness and fun and never takes any of those things too seriously.
     She has taught me how to train, fuel and appreciate the body I have.
     She is the best bootcamp instructor on the planet.  (Don't believe me, here's her schedule, test her for yourself.)

I made her model for lululemon a lot...

Today I am dedicating this post to her because it is her birthday, and I think she deserves to know about the impact she has had on my life, and probably a ton of others.   This morning I was in need of a shake up in my morning workout so I joined her bootcamp class, which I shamelessly have not been to in months!  It more than kicked my badonk, it reminded me of how much more you get out of a workout when it is led by someone who really has love for what their teaching paralleled with incredible knowledge, and a triple threat of actually knowing how to deliver their message.  (We've all had those terrible teachers who mean well but just shouldn't be leading class...) 

Her teaching is a gift, and I am lucky to sweat in her graces every now and then.  I hope to be half the trainer she is someday.  (Remember it's a 1 year goal of mine...)  So today if there's someone in your life who has helped you to become a better you mentally, physically, both, whatever, give 'em thanks.  We tend to view our trainers and teachers as super heroes, but really they're human too and sometimes need to be reminded just how wicked awesome they are.

xo

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know becoming a fitness instructor was one of your goals! That's awesome. It's a long-term goal for me too, though I haven't been able to put a 'by when' date on it yet! Good luck! And January seems like a great person to know!

    ReplyDelete