Saturday, November 13, 2010

the life of a haute geek

I am lucky. I love my job. My job allows me to be creative and experiment everyday, kind of like how I did in Kindergarten. As a writer, social mediva, and remote worker, I have come to appreciate the little things that bring a smile to my day. Like I said, I am lucky, but there are some days working remotely = working lonely. Luckily, coffee shops are made for haute geeks like me.

(Babycakes in Hillcrest, San Diego)

Everyday I wake up and head to the office, which varies between Caffe Carpe Diem, Babycakes, and Starbucks (if and only if I am desperate). The baristas at all of the coffee shops know my name, and ordinarily my drink order (lately green tea, as I've given up my addiction to cappuccinos as I was having bouts of vertigo). Everyday they smile, everyday I smile back, and find my desk.

I personally prefer the corner office with a view, and an outlet to plug my computer in. It has happened more than once when I have walked into my favorite shops to find my desk taken by another. Mind you I am talking about a table at a cafe, however when you are a blogger, geek, social media guru, or a consultant who depends on coffee shops for a clean, comfortable space to work, this is unacceptable.

So I scramble to any desk that is available, and stretch my power cord over the bar counter to find an outlet, and dive into my day full of product reviews, co-tweet, blog posts,  wordpress, send/receiving my inbox, skype, and probably 2 glasses of green tea. I pour my heart and soul into my work, and most people out in the interwebs do not understand number one that I am a real living, breathing person on the other end, and number two a lot of love and time is devoted to all that I create. Throughout my day I have to remind myself of a wonderful phrase a fellow social mediva and great friend taught me, "It's not your job to teach anyone a lesson." I say this to myself, sip my green tea, inhale and exhale a few ujjayi breaths, and type my frustrations away.

I have to thank my favorite offices in San Diego for always taking care of me, and being understanding of my usage of their WiFi, and comforting space. Even more, I have to thank my mom who has become so savvy with the interwebs that she checks my Facebook page to see if I have checked in on Foursquare, just in case she might be in the area of Caffe Carpe Diem to stop by and grab a coffee. Can't help but love her, after all, she is often the only person I get to see and talk to in person throughout my workdays, so I welcome the "spontaneous" attention.

So next time you see one of us haute geeks in a cafe, be mindful of our desks when you return, approach us slowly if we are wearing our headphones, and smile at us. Most of the time, we'll respond and welcome the conversation.

At the end of the day, a few clicks in Polyvore, a bootcamp or yoga sesion, and all is balanced in my world again.  Can't wait to play with all of you in the interwebs again tomorrow.  Namaste.
blogger wish list

1 comment:

  1. Hey Haute Mess!

    What a fun post from the social mediva(stealing this. loving this.) behind the interwebs!
    The work you do is incredible, inspiring and true to your voice.
    The mini shout out made my day, because all you can do is rock it.... there is no other option!
    You are ah-mazing always and every day I learn from you!

    Signing off,

    Shawna- fellow social mediva & partner in crime

    ReplyDelete