Wednesday, December 22, 2010

rain rain feel free to stay...

when it rains it pours... so stay inside and stay warm


We've had a wickedly rainy week in San Diego.  I am talking roads closed all around my house because our city is not supposed to experience weather, ever.  Last night I missed yoga with my favorite instructor who I haven't seen for weeks because "I've been too busy".  I.E. I have had no balance.  Needless to say optimism had washed away in the rain.


These guys had no problem with the rain.  I literally couldn't leave the house because of the floods, so the babies got to hang all day long, kennel free, and with multiple walks.


Shockingly, I don't take to the cold very well.  Not a big fan of rain or snow, but whenever I need a piece of sunshine, my cherished Beverly Hills Hotel coffee cup and apple cider spiced tea brings me back to the glory days in LA.


Best.  Christmas.  Present.  Ever.  Grandma Betty whipped up a "vegan" version of her famous spaghetti sauce.  But, this is the same woman who has asked me close to a hundred times if I can eat chicken because that's not really meat.  So I'm not asking if she used chicken stock, I'm making some vegan chili with the sauce, enjoying every bite and remembering my days faking being sick at school to go hang with Grandma Betty.


Naturally, this chili should be served in my rudolph mug.  I have a full Christmas collection, which I have taken one after another year after year at my best friends annual Christmas Eve party.  Here's the thing, I'm not a thief, but these mugs never saw the light of day outside the cupboard, and I wanted to celebrate them.  My friend's family doesn't care, they actually gave me a mug as part of my wedding dish.  Pretty sure those only one left I need to capture.


Vegan Chili Di Whitters
  • 1 cup of mixed beans, garbanzo, pinto and black
  • 1 tablespoon of hummus (instead of cream)
  • 2 cups of Grandma Betty's Spaghetti Sauce
  • 1 Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer Mug


Oh and just one glass of red wine on the side to really make this day half full of happy.


Cute as a button.


Hope you all stay warm this season.  When it rains, find your sunshine somehow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment